Saturday, October 15, 2005

What Are The Odds???

I bought a lottery ticket today. Actually, I bought 5 chances to win 300 Million dollars. The drawing is at 11pm. Last night as I was driving with my friends to the city for Tracy's birthday dinner, we saw a big billboard that read, "Powerball is 300 Million!!" We all dreamed a little and then this morning after brunch, we bought tickets. Tracy said she would give all of her friends a million bucks. Her husband freaked out. They were actually getting into a fight over this. I reminded them that they haven't even won anything yet. She does have a lot of friends.

I once thought about writing a short story about a woman who won the lottery. Millions of dollars. She becomes very paranoid. So much so, that she regrets winning the money at all. I am really not sure how I would react. I think I would be a little paranoid. It's such an insane amount of money. I would definitely take care of my family. I would absolutely give a lot of money to charity. After that, I am stuck. With that kind of molah I could certainly afford all the material possessions that one could want. Would I still want them? I guess it's hard to say. Why skimp on the cream when you're making sweets in your head?

I went to visit my grandmother in the hospital today. She was admitted last Tuesday evening. This time she remembered who I was. She's so depressed. She's 90 years old and she has had a wonderful life. So much to be thankful for. But now, her health is really deteriorating and she feels useless. It's hard to empathize with her. I think of all of the good. I said to her, "You're able to sit her and talk with me, you're able to feed yourself..." She looked away. In fact, she didn't really look at me much. She always had so much dignity. I think she feels that it's all gone now.

I had a professor in college that always said, "The only way to beat old age is to die young!" We would all laugh. But it's true. We will all get there somehow. Some of us with a little more dignity than others, but it is our ultimate fate.

Life is our lottery. Her numbers are just not up yet.

2 Comments:

Blogger BeckEye said...

I seem to remember the last couple of big lottery winners being already fairly wealthy. That's either sad or so ironic it's hilarious. I dream about winning all the time, but never play.

1:14 AM  
Blogger Blake said...

I love playing the lottery. I tell myself if I practice enough (re: buy enough tickets) then I will be good when it is game time. I prepare for the lottery the way I did for basketball in high school. Practice makes perfect! One day, one day I will win...

Blake

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home