Thursday, December 14, 2006

A Great Lady

This morning I got a call from my mom, and I knew what she was going to say before she could let it out. She told me that my Aunt Bobbie, her sister, passed away. We all knew it was coming. She had cancer and this was not the first time. I think the first occurrence was 15 years ago. She was in remission for several years but she fell sick back in June and it turned out she had cancer in her lung. It has been a rough go since June, in and out of the hospital, she was so weak. She really tried her best to hang on. She even went through the Chemo and Radiation treatments again, but it just made her all the more weak. I think she was thinking that if she did that it would bring her back like it did so many years ago, but instead it took her.

My Aunt Bobbie was a great lady. She really cared about everyone in the family and she had this way of making you feel so special. At least, that is how she made me feel. When she would hug me she would squeeze me so tight and her long red fingernails would lightly scratch my arm. I could feel the love force run through me.

Aunt Bobbie left behind her husband, who she married when she was 17 years old, her son and daughter, Jay and Wendi, and her grandchildren, Stephi, Matt, Amy Kait, Ava, and Scott.

It was only a little over a year since my grandmother died, her mother. I started to think about the dreams I had about my grandmother. The first one where my aunt and my mother were there. They both got cancer after that dream. I'm wondering if my grandmother was coming for my aunt? Maybe it was just a coincidence? I certainly don't want to have those kind of premonitions. I would much rather predict the next lottery drawling than the deaths of my family members.

It was weird, the other night my aunt got up and started talking to people who weren't there. I spoke to my friend Tracy who recently lost her father to cancer and she said he saw dead people just before he was going to die. My mom then told me that my grandmother had the same experience. She saw my grandfather and her mother. Do your dead relatives come to greet you when you are just about to go? To let you know that it's ok? I guess that must be comforting to them but it sure scares the living daylights out of me. (no pun intended)

When I lost my grandmother that was so hard. She was 90 years old, but she was a young 90. I spoke to her almost every day. She loved to hear what was going on in my life. I guess she wasn't able to go and do like she used to and so she took pleasure in my stories. I didn't talk to my aunt everyday, but when we did we had a bond that was so strong. I love her, and will miss her very much.

3 Comments:

Blogger Michael K. Althouse said...

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I have gone through the death of a few friends and my last grandparent recently and it never really gets any easier. It's easy to rationalize that death is an unavoidable fact of life, but it never seems to apply in the moment.

Mike

12:33 PM  
Blogger AndyT13 said...

Rats. I came by to wish you HAPPY HOLIDAY! Sorry for your loss.
I hope things are going better.

11:45 AM  
Blogger carmilevy said...

Hi Blair. I found your link on Mike's website.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss - both of your aunt and your grandmother. You write so reverently about both of them, and you remind us that it's important to hold on to the bonds of family - however tenuous they may be.

Hope you post again soon. All the best.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home